Seasonal or second home - Home insurance - PMT ROY

Protect your cottage or second home

You’re lucky enough to own a cottage or second home. Your insurance requires special attention because there are many factors that can influence the price and coverage, such as the heating system, type of access, or even the time of year you use the home.

Don’t let one unfortunate incident turn your dream getaway into a nightmare. Protect yourself from possible damage by purchasing coverage from one of our insurance brokers.

An insurance policy with us will not only cover the building and its contents, but also your civil liability.

Do you have trouble getting insured?

For various reasons, you may have been refused by an insurer in the past.
We have home and auto insurance solutions specially designed for customers who have had non-payment issues and excessive claims, an unconventional creditor, a suspended driver’s license, or a criminal record*.

*Subject to approval

Frequently asked questions

  • The number of years you’ve had insurance
  • The style and age of your home
  • Your neighbourhood
  • Your age and occupation
  • Your claim file
  • The type of form and riders you want to purchase
  • Hot water heater: Replace it every 10 years
  • Appliances: The hoses for your dishwasher and washing machine deteriorate over time. Check their lifespan with the manufacturer, and replace them periodically.
  • Fixtures: If your tub or sink drain isn’t working properly, call a professional to get it fixed.
  • Check valve: Check it annually to make sure it’s working properly. Its job is to prevent sewer back-ups through your pipes.
  • Foundation: Have any cracks repaired by a professional.
  • Roof: Make sure the attic is properly ventilated and avoid condensation.
  • There are a lot of other factors that need to be considered, such as gutters, outdoor valves, windows and wells.

Most home insurance policies do not include damage such as deterioration of a building or property caused by mould (microscopic fungi that can also be harmful to people or animals).

To prevent mould from forming in your home, air it out regularly! If, despite everything, traces of mould appear, scrub them with a bleach and water solution.

If you have a recurring leak in your roof or foundation, don’t let the problem drag on. Prevent mould by attacking it at the source.

In home insurance, the replacement value rider allows you to replace damaged property with property that is identical in nature or quality, regardless of the actual cost to repurchase at the time of the claim. However, this rider does not apply to collectibles, historical artifacts, antiques, fine arts, paintings, sculptures, etc.

A rider is used to modify your insurance policy. For example, you decide to close up your home (cottage or second home) for the winter. Since this new information may lead to changes in your insurance coverage, your broker must be notified and will ask for a rider to your insurance policy in order to accurately declare the use of your home.

The deductible is the amount that the insured will have to pay in the event of a covered claim. For example, if you make a covered claim of $10,000 and your deductible is $1,000, the insurer will reimburse you $9,000 and you will have to pay the remaining $1,000 out of pocket.

You must contact your broker to let them know, and they will transfer your call to the claims department, where a claims expert will open a file and guide you through the process. Your damage insurance broker is always ready to help when needed.

Insurance premiums are based on micro-pricing and a customer’s credit rating. A good credit rating represents a lower risk for the insurer and will result in a better premium. We do not have access to our customers’ credit records, and the fact of giving your verbal consent in no way affects your credit rating.